In February, Mercury introduced the V-6 3.4-liter 175, 200 and 225hp FourStrokes and the V-6 3.4-liter 200hp SeaPro at the 2018 Miami International Boat Show.
These next-generation outboards constitute the largest new-product development program Mercury has undertaken in its 79-year history, prompting a major expansion to its manufacturing footprint.
“In Miami, we said the V-6 was Step One of our 2018 introductions, and we are thrilled to officially announce Step Two,” said John Pfeifer, president Mercury Marine. “These new V-8 engines, like the V-6, will set a new benchmark in the marine industry . . . “
Mercury’s new V-8 and V-6 outboard engines are highly configurable to meet the needs of a wide variety of boating segments, from Verado’s refined performance; to the FourStroke’s fuel efficiency and rigging versatility; to the competitive edge that Pro XS provides tournament anglers; and to SeaPro’s remarkable commercial durability and reliability.
“These engines are naturally aspirated, durable, powerful and provide options for the consumer that they’ve never had before,” said Pfeifer. “This new lineup aligns with what consumers are asking for, and we are delighted to deliver it to them.”
Standout innovations of the new Mercury V-8 and V-6 outboards include:
- Select V-8 and V-6 CMS (Conventional MidSection) outboards are compatible with mechanical or digital controls, hydraulic or power steering, and the Mercury Big Tiller.
- Adaptive Speed Control: Maintains a desired rpm regardless of changes in load or conditions without adjustments to the throttle lever position – a first for the outboard industry.
- Exceptionally smooth and quiet: Tuned multi-chamber air intake minimizes airborne noise; fuel injector covers reduce high-frequency noise.
- Industry-exclusive battery-management technology: When battery voltage decreases, the engine will automatically increase idle rpm to boost alternator output and recharge low batteries to the proper level, protecting operators from draining their battery while trolling.
- The exclusive Top Cowl Service Door simplifies routine maintenance – you can check the oil level or add oil without removing the top cowl.
Watch as Mercury dealers and boatbuilders experience the new V-8 engines for the first time: https://youtu.be/IZjJ_dPZf2o
Designed, developed and manufactured in-house, the naturally aspirated, 4.6 Liter V-8 four-stroke engines share Mercury Racing’s venerable Quad Cam Four Valve (QC4) sterndrive DNA – complete with aluminum four-valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) valve trains.
The four valve heads and DOHC valve train is integrated with Mercury’s proprietary V-8 cylinder block, packed with high performance hardware. The new platform replaces the two-stroke V-6 250XS and 300XS models.